Board of Education
The Eastchester School District has established advisory committees for the purpose of involving parents and the community to advise the Board in various areas. Parents and community members are invited to sit on the following committees: Community Relations, Finance, and Facilities.
Committees generally meet approximately six times a year. Meetings are usually held in the evening, for a maximum of two hours.
Interested parties are invited to submit a letter of interest, reasons for wanting to serve on the advisory committee, qualifications and/or resume to Board Advisory Committees, Eastchester UFSD Board of Education, 580 White Plains Road, Eastchester, NY 10709 or fax to: 793-9006. For additional information, please call the Public Information Office at 793-6130, ext. 4661.
Please click any of the links below to access the Minutes of the Board of Education Meetings prior to June 2016:
The District's comprehensive approach to school safety includes a balance of education, effective prevention and intervention, discipline, security and crisis prevention preparedness. The safety of our students and staff are paramount. Though we consider our schools safe due to the commitment of faculty, parents and our community to our students, the District has developed a District-Wide Safety plan, as well as individual building Emergency Response Plans that contain protocols to guide expeditious and effective responses to emergency situations. The District has worked closely with police, fire, EMS and government agencies to develop these plans. These plans were developed pursuant to the New York State Schools Against Violence in Education (S.A.V.E.) legislation.
Responsible behavior by students, staff, parents and other visitors is essential to achieving effective education for all students. The District has a long-standing set of expectations for conduct on school property and at school functions and the District is committed to maintaining high behavioral standards and expectations. District and building level Codes of Conduct clearly define the expectations for acceptable conduct on school property, identify possible consequence of unacceptable conduct, and ensure that when discipline is necessary, it is administered promptly and fairly. Since school safety must be a shared responsibility among school, home and community, these Codes of Conduct were developed in collaboration with students, teachers, administrators, and parents. In addition, our counseling and health programs, student assistance services and anti-bullying programs promote good citizenship and character. These programs have been implemented to provide the prevention, intervention and crisis response that are the cornerstone of our school safety plan. Please contact your child's school if you wish additional information on these programs.
For a detailed copy of Code of Conduct, contact your building principal or read here for a PDF Version of the Code of Conduct.
The Eastchester Board of Education has established the following goals:
Improving Student Performance:
- Continue to enhance learning opportunities for all students through a sustained and systemic program of teacher professional growth and curriculum development.
- Mentor new instructional staff and provide professional growth opportunities in best instructional practices and in the implementation of Eastchester's curriculum and assessment programs.
- Continue the implementation of District graduation goals and New York State's learning standards.
- Build on our record of continuous improvement in student performance on State assessments in 4th and 8th grades and in the requirements of the All Regents High School.
- Continue to enhance our excellent record of enrollment in Advanced Placement courses and other advanced learning opportunities for all students which will also enhance college/university acceptances. Continue to build on our regional leadership role in videoconferencing for enhanced learning, along with the application of new and upgraded technology K-12.
Finance/Budget/ Business Operations:
- Develop fiscally responsive and taxpayer sensitive expenditure plans that support and improve programs, services and facilities.
- Develop strategic financial reserves capable of responding to program capital and infrastructure needs in a manner that maximizes resources and promotes taxpayer value.
- Continue the District's commitment to utilize technology in achieving its mission and to improve its technology infrastructure, as needed.
- Oversee, guide and support the successful completion of all voter-approved bond projects and all facility improvement projects, and to report to the community on the progress of all work.
- Complete the secondary facilities review by the Long Range Planning Committee and recommend to the community a plan for accommodating increased enrollments at the Middle and High School.
School Community, Public Relations & Legisative Action:
- Enhance the Board's communications with parents through trustee liaisons to all PTA's,the Eastchester School Foundation and the Eagles Spots Club.
- Continue the Board's successful Advisory Committee structure in order to promote the appropriate involvement of stakeholders in important decision-making processes.
- Continue to support and improve the District's Public Relations Program, particularly through cable channels (78/24), the District's web site and "School Talk."
- Engage in legislative action and advocacy on behalf of the best interests of all Eastchester students.
Time: 8:00 PM, unless otherwise posted
- Work Sessions - District Board Room(in High School Library Media Center during Budget Presentations, dates TBD)
- Regular Monthly Board Meetings - High School Library Media Center
Dates for 2018-2019
|Monday, July 2, 2018||Reorganization Meeting - 7:30 PM|
|Monday, July 9, 2018||Board Retreat/Work Session - 7:30 PM|
|Tuesday, August 28, 2018||Regular Meeting - 7:30 PM|
|Wednesday, September 12, 2018||Work Session|
|Tuesday, September 25, 2018||Regular Meeting|
|Tuesday, October 9, 2018||Work Session|
|Tuesday, October 23, 2018||Regular Meeting|
|Tuesday, November 13, 2018||Work Session|
|Tuesday, November 27, 2018||Regular Meeting|
|Tuesday, December 11, 2018||Regular Meeting|
|Tuesday, January 8, 2019||Work Session|
|Tuesday, January 22, 2019||Regular Meeting|
|Tuesday, February 12, 2019||Work Session|
|Tuesday, February 26, 2019||Regular Meeting|
|Tuesday, March 12, 2019||Work Session|
|Tuesday, March 26, 2019||Regular Meeting|
|Tuesday, April 9, 2019||Work Session|
|Tuesday, April 23, 2019||Regular Meeting (Budget Adoption)|
|Tuesday, May 14, 2019||Work Session (Budget Hearing)|
|Tuesday, May 21, 2019||Regular Meeting (Annual Budget Vote and Trustee Election)|
|Tuesday, June 11, 2019||Work Session|
|Tuesday, June 25, 2019||Regular Meeting|
Eastchester residents are invited and encouraged to attend the Board of Education meetings that are generally held two Tuesdays of each month at 8:00 pm. Check the district calendar for meeting dates.
Board of Education meetings, as well as other district events, are broadcast live or on tape over Cable Access Channels 24 and 78. The dates and times of all Board of Education meetings are posted online as well as in the district calendar.
The Board of Education may be contacted by writing to:
Eastchester Union Free School District
Attention: Board of Education
580 White Plains Road
Eastchester, NY 10709
Email to the Board of Education may be sent to: BOE@Eastchester.k12.ny.us
Call (914)793-6130, ext. 4201 to leave a message.
Trustees and Officers for the 2018-2019 School Year:
- Mary Messner Martin, President
- Dr. Cheryl Smith, Vice President
- Vito Catania, Secretary
- David Carforo, Trustee
- Judah Holstein, Trustee
- Robert Summer, Trustee
- Sally Veltidi, Trustee
- Tara Conte, Trustee
- Erin Murray, Trustee