Now at Eastchester

Taking the Plunge

Picture of Eastchester District Website Administrator
Taking the Plunge
by Eastchester District Website Administrator - Sunday, December 16, 2018, 9:39 PM

Swim team diving"The team builds confidence. Being a part of my swim team in high school made and impact on me and I wanted to give students the same experience."

That is why Eastchester High School teacher and modified soccer coach Tim Leddy started the Boys' Varsity Swim and Dive Team in the District this year and he is already witnessing it grow and develop.

TrainingThe team which only got underway last month already has 20 members and more students want to join. The swimmer competed in their first meet on December 12 against Harrison High School.

"I longed for a swim team. I wanted a group of friends to swim with at school," said Alex Rosado who also swims with a private team. "It is really special to be part of this team and work toward a goal."

SwimmingEmiliano Dreshaj played soccer and after an injury decided to try a new sport. "I like going out of my comfort zone and I have always thought so highly of swimmers. I am excited for our team."

The team practices two-to-three times a week at Sarah Lawrence College in Yonkers and trains intensively for strength and conditioning at Eastchester High School.

James Poletti who said he always loved swimming is new to the competitive aspect but is up for the test. "It is very challenging and I never expected I would have to push myself so hard. I want to see how we stack up against the other teams."

As part of the Section One Division, the team will compete in meets until February with the goal of making it to States.

"As my head goes down," said Nicholas Dragomanov, "I see and hear people cheering, you get excited and push yourself more."