Now at Eastchester

Teaching Tolerance

Picture of Eastchester District Website Administrator
Teaching Tolerance
by Eastchester District Website Administrator - Tuesday, January 8, 2019, 2:16 PM

EMS Students learning tolerance

Student Council members from Anne Hutchinson shared markers and crayons as they colored and signed a Tolerance Contract this week at their school.

The children have pledged to be open minded, to accept and to learn from people who are different.

"If you treat everyone with respect and kindness it will have a positive effect and everyone will feel welcome," said fifth-grader Danielle Dimurro.

Students working on Tolerance activityStudents hope the contract will raise awareness about differences in their cultures.

Each month the school community focuses on a word and the lessons it teaches.

Throughout the month of January students will explore the concept of Tolerance to help them realize what we all have in common is that we are different.  

EMS StudentThe idea is to prepare the students for their adult life where they will work alongside of people from a variety of cultures, backgrounds, ethnicities, and religious beliefs. Tolerance prepares students for a complex and global world.

Young students may not be thinking about that right now but they already understand how tolerance can improve their daily lives.

"I know people can be rude," said student Shaiel Hernandez Rodich. "When I was younger, I saw how some of my friends were left out."

Many fifth-graders are also reading the book "Wonder" by R.J. Palacio which tells the story of a boy living with a facial disfigurement. The story drives the message home that every person – no matter how different – is a wonder.