Now at Eastchester

Making a Difference

Picture of Eastchester District Website Administrator
Making a Difference
by Eastchester District Website Administrator - Monday, February 25, 2019, 11:24 PM

Amy Paulin and studentAnne Hutchinson Student Council members shared their experiences of giving back to others with State Assembly member Amy Paulin today when she visited their school.

The Anne Hutch community actively partners with the Loukoumi Foundation raising funds and improving lives as they support local and national charities.

Students listening to PaulinStudents often write Caring Cards to lift the spirits of those in need as part of their Good Deed of the Month. They have donated to St. Jude's Children Research Hospital, spruced up the community and collected crayons and coloring books for White Plains Hospital.

Fifth-grader Jenna Rivera said, "I enjoyed talking about our good deeds at Anne Hutch and I hope that Ms. Paulin will spread the ideas from our school to other schools."

Students with cardsNick Katsoris, President of the Loukoumi Foundation, joined the students and Paulin. He explained how his foundation got its start from a children's book series that he wrote teaching children simple lessons. What started in the Eastchester School District has now spread to 300 schools.

"The beauty of this is that they are having fun. The children see that charity work is not a chore and they are starting so young," said Katsoris. He is hopeful Assembly member Paulin will encourage other school district to become involved.

Paulin and Student"I heard directly from students about how the curriculum and the support of their principal, and student council moderators, inspired them to take action to help those dealing with pediatric cancer, Alzheimer's disease, military families, and so much more," said Paulin, "I encourage you to follow the stories of these young people changing the world."