Now at Eastchester

Preparing for the Future

Picture of Eastchester District Website Administrator
Preparing for the Future
by Eastchester District Website Administrator - Wednesday, March 27, 2019, 11:05 PM

Jowel Nelson at the Culinary Arts ProgramEastchester High School student Jowel Nelson has her eyes set on the future. The senior wants to become an executive chef and she is well on her way.

Not only does Jowel possess the passion to succeed, she is obtaining the necessary training through the Culinary Arts Program at Southern Westchester BOCES – a course offered as part of the Center for Career Services.

Jowel is even featured in a Center for Career Services recent newsletter.

“I love cooking with my aunt. I knew if I came here I would get so many opportunities,” said Jowel who is in the second year of the Culinary Arts Program.

In addition to attending her regular classes at EHS, she spends two-and-a-half hours with trained staff at BOCES.

“They get something tangible,” said Center for Career Services Principal James Matera. “I’ve seen, with hard work, students can use these skills for college and or to go to a career.”

Jowel’s plans include attending Westchester Community College and then she would like to transfer to the Culinary Institute of America. She is a member of the Technical National Honor Society and participated at the regional SkillsUSA competition earlier this month and will compete statewide in April.

To read the entire article and learn more about the Center for Career Services, just visit https://careers.swboces.org/groups/72400/news_feed__center_for_career_services_201819/cte_month