The Eastchester High School Art Department is celebrating the achievements of its students who were recognized earlier this month at the Art.Write.Now National Exhibit sponsored by Scholastic Art and Writing Awards.
Senior Kevin Jiao was selected as the National Gold Key Winner for his wearable sculpture created out of metal. The competition featured works of young writers and artists who advanced from the Regional Gold Key level and were judged by professional artists.
“Honestly, I didn't think I would win,” said Jiao. “It feels amazing to know that my piece was chosen out of thousands of other great works.”
Jiao and the other national medalists, will be recognized at a special ceremony on June 7 at Carnegie Hall.
Art Instructor Rachel Sydlowski reflected on the achievements of all the EHS students who participated “We are really proud to have many young artists represented at the regional level from a variety of artistic disciplines, from photography to illustration and metals. It truly showcases the strength and breadth of our students and department.”
Jiao’s inspiration was medieval armor that included a chainmaille pattern, an ancient weaving technique using metal rings that are intertwined with one another.
“With metal, you can worry less about colors and focus more on its shape and form. The process is sometimes relaxing and repetitive, while other times it requires focus and finesse,” explained Jiao. "The very last step is polishing, it is satisfying to coax a luminous surface quality through this process. You feel the completeness and final reward of your work."
- Sakura Abdel-Rahman -Gold Key, Drawing and Illustration
- Sakura Abdel-Rahman -Silver Key, Drawing and Illustration
- Nicole Ross- Honorable Mention, Mixed Media
- Nicole Ross- Honorable Mention, Photography
- Kevin Jiao -Gold Key, Jewelry
- Kevin Jiao- Silver Key, Jewelry
- Emily Bui -Honorable Mention, Drawing and Illustration
- Emily Bui- Honorable Mention, Drawing and Illustration
- Kevin Jiao - Gold Key, Jewelry