Now at Eastchester

Different Ways of Learning

Picture of Eastchester District Website Administrator
Different Ways of Learning
by Eastchester District Website Administrator - Friday, April 26, 2019, 2:08 PM

Working with children“I was excited to know how my name is spelled in Braille and then I taught my mother and father.” First-grader Katie White enjoyed learning about Braille and how it helps children who are blind or visually impaired to read.

In late March, Dr. Rebecca Renshaw, a Waverly parent and Superintendent of the Lavelle School for the Blind in the Bronx visited all the first grade classes and showed the students a Braille writer. The children have been discovering how special technology helps some students learn. They were also eager to see books with letters, braille and pictures that popped up or had a unique texture.

Dr. Renshaw gave the students a Braille alphabet card and a paper that had their names written in Braille. She also explained how a sighted person can assist someone who is blind navigate a hallway or a room.

“It is really cool that they know what letter or object it is by just touching because when I close my eyes, I don’t know what things are,” said Luna Cesareo Lodato.

Several books in Braille were donated to the Waverly library, so children can read at home.

Dr. Renshaw also explained how her students are just like the kids at Waverly – they eat, play, and have friends – they just read and write differently.