Now at Eastchester

Mamma Mia!

Picture of Eastchester District Website Administrator
Mamma Mia!
by Eastchester District Website Administrator - Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 8:37 PM

Scene from Mama miaThe upbeat songs got audience members on their feet while the colorful costumes brought the stage to life as The Eastchester High School Players Club performed “Mamma Mia” for three sold out shows during the weekend of April 5 to 7.

“Mamma Mia” tells the story of Donna, a hotel manager on a Greek island who is preparing for her daughter’s wedding. Little does she know that her daughter Sophie has a big surprise in store, she invited three men from her mother’s youth to the celebration to discover the identity of her father.

Another scene from Mama miaJunior Emma Kops played Donna, “It was an interesting and exciting show. Even though we are so young, the music of Abba is fun to dance to and to sing.”

Both she and Nicole Mancini, a fellow junior who took on the role of Sophie, have been involved in shows for years but say they love to perform in Eastchester. “The community is so welcoming and everybody is here for you to support and to help you if you are struggling, it so amazing,” said Mancini.

And yet another scene from Mama miaStudents started rehearsing in February.  

Director John Gywardyak and the technical crew built and painted the sets with the assistance of alumni. He said some 40-50 parents and teachers volunteered their time to make the show such a success.

“The show was more difficult than I anticipated as we had 80 students in the ensemble. I wanted them all to have an experience so I spilt them up into a main and featured chorus. The kids are just unbelievable!” said Gwardyak.

Click here to see the image gallery!