Now at Eastchester

NAMI Walk Raises Awareness and Funding

Picture of Eastchester District Website Administrator
NAMI Walk Raises Awareness and Funding
by Eastchester District Website Administrator - Thursday, May 30, 2019, 10:41 AM

EMS Students at NAMIThe Eastchester School District joined together at the National Alliance on Mental Illness Walk on May 18 to show their support and acceptance for those whose lives have been affected by the disease.

Team EMS Cares raised $1,200 from pledges and an additional $173 from lunch-time donations.

EMS Students show signsSeventh-grader Sofia Caballas walked with her family. “It wasn’t about walking or exercise, but the fact that I knew I was doing something good for people.”

EMS started a chapter of the SAVE Promise Club – Students Against Violence Everywhere – a national movement that formed after the Sandy Hook school shooting.

Eastchester students spread the message of acceptance during May, National Mental Health Month, by hanging posters and holding conversations.  Morning announcements also included mental health facts and statistics including: one in five children ages 13-18 has, or will have a serious mental illness

School Psychologist Barbara Virtuoso mentors the students and was excited to see how, for the first time, the school community joined the NAMI Walk. “This makes you feel less isolated and allows for the support that so many people need.” Next year she wants to get more families involved.

“I know some people who are affected by mental illness and I thought it was a good idea to help out,” said seventh-grader Navya Arora.

Families interested in joining the NAMI walk next year should contact Barbara Virtuso at bvirtuoso@eufsdk12.org

View the image gallery1