Now at Eastchester

Social Skills Ceremony

Picture of Eastchester District Website Administrator
Social Skills Ceremony
by Eastchester District Website Administrator - Wednesday, June 5, 2019, 12:33 PM

Social Skills CeremonyWhen Jayanth Das searched for a school for her son Rohan, she wanted a nurturing environment. The Eastchester mother discovered that at Greenvale in the Social Skills Program.

Students posing“It was not easy in the beginning but his peer mentor helped. He was able to play at recess and his peer mentors opened up another social environment.” Four years later, Rohan is ready to move up to Eastchester Middle School.

It was a bittersweet moment for Das and other families on May 31, when their children received certificates at Greenvale’s Social Skills Ceremony. Throughout the school year, children are paired with   peer mentors and enjoy free time on the playground or inside during inclement weather.

More studentsMatthew McDonough said one of the games showed him how to understand emotions. “This has taught me lessons that I will take through my entire life.”

“I enjoy playing with people and getting to know their unique personalities,” remarked Samantha Messina.

Other students spelled out the word ‘Friend’ with pictures they painted and explained what makes a good friend.

Colette Donato and Jessica Stern are the Directors of the Social Skills Program at Greenvale.

View the image gallery!