Now at Eastchester

Anne Hutchinson Remembers

Picture of Eastchester District Website Administrator
Anne Hutchinson Remembers
by Eastchester District Website Administrator - Saturday, September 14, 2019, 4:41 PM

Students working on messagesStudents in Jennifer Rogan’s fifth-grade class at Anne Hutchinson weren’t even born on 9/11 but she wanted to teach them what happened that day with a focus on the good that sprung from the tragedy.

MessagesThe students created a wall of Everyday Heroes where they wrote about a person in their lives and chose an inspirational quote that they then wrote on a cut-out of two towers.

The class read books leading up to the anniversary that included “The Man with the Red Bandana”, “Fireboat” and “Saved by the Boat” to spread the message of kindness which is also Anne Hutchinson’s ethical value of the month.

Daniela Lopez chose her 15-year-old sister Alejandra who makes her feel safe when she is scared. “She tells me everything is going to be alright and don’t think about it.”

Michael Maltese wrote about his dad who encourages him in sports and cooks him food.

The quote, “Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal,” resounded with him. “I felt bad for people who lost their families,” he said.

Teaching about this period in history can be a challenge. “I wanted them to see the positive that came from such a difficult time,” said Rogan. “I wanted the students to know about the selflessness that followed.”

Other students chose their parents and grandparents who support them as their heroes.

View the image gallery!