Now at Eastchester

Perfect Placement

Picture of Eastchester District Website Administrator
Perfect Placement
by Eastchester District Website Administrator - Monday, October 7, 2019, 10:52 PM

Eastchester High School student-athletes received real-world advice about the college recruiting process to assist them as they plan their future.

MLB Agent and speaker Mark Leinweaver of Perfect Playcement spoke to the athletes, their families and coaches in the EHS auditorium on October 2 and explained the dynamics of the process.

Leinweaver's 90-minute talk focused on academics first. "For me, it is about choosing the right college and not the right program. The students need to figure out what they excel at in class, their extra-curricular activities before they talk to an athletic director about a program."

He also stressed building character and preventing bullying. "An athlete needs to be a leader on and off the field. The bullying problem is real and everyone has to play a part."

"It is crucial for the student-athlete, parents and coaches to gain a perspective and to appreciate the college recruitment process," said EHS Athletic Director Jason Karol. "They will be able to make the correct choice with more information."

Students also learned the best way to approach a prospective college coach and why, in some instances, a Division III team may be a better option than a Division I team.

Sophomore Tino Dimurro wrestles and runs Cross Country. "My biggest take-away is that you have to figure out what you want and not listen to what other people say you should do."

Junior Mia Murrell wants to play volleyball when she graduates from EHS and said the evening offered her information she didn't anticipate. "I learned about the decision-making process, how to speak with coaches and finding the right fit instead of just looking for the highest level."

The Eastchester Athletics Department partnered with the Pelham Union Free School District and Athletic Director Stephen Luciana to bring Leinweaver to the District.