Now at Eastchester

Greenvale Poets

Picture of Eastchester District Website Administrator
Greenvale Poets
by Eastchester District Website Administrator - Wednesday, October 23, 2019, 9:59 AM

Poet working with student“Blue feels like smooth flowers.” “White, like my ice cream melting as it dances in my creamy white bowl.”

Fourth-graders at Greenvale explored words and sounds this week as they learned the art and skill to writing poetry.

Author Ted Scheu conducted assemblies with the second and fourth-graders and then led workshops in the older students’ classrooms.

Class working on projectScheu explained the power of poetry. “It builds stronger writers. The words are sparse. It is all about picking your words carefully and writing about something that holds meaning.”

He said younger students often enjoy writing poetry because the rules are flexible, and the writing requires creativity.

“I love writing poems,” said student Michael Frangipani. “You just have to put your imagination to work.”

Students also learned about the revision process, which they can implement throughout their educational careers.

During the workshops, Scheu read aloud poems written by other fourth-graders to reinforce the concept that if someone their age can write a poem, so could they.

At the end of each session, students received their “Poetic License,” a bookmark with suggestions and tips to write poetry.

The Greenvale PTA Cultural Arts Programs sponsored Sheu’s visit.

View the image gallery!