News and Announcements

Science Scholar

Picture of Grace Noone
Science Scholar
by Grace Noone - Friday, January 10, 2020, 1:16 PM

Eastchester High School Senior Maho Toyomura has been named one of the country's top scientists in the 79th Regeneron Science Talent Search.

Eastchester High School Senior Maho Toyomura has been named one of the country's top scientists in the 79th Regeneron Science Talent Search.

Toyomura is one of 300 students nationwide and 33 students from Westchester County to receive this distinction. Regeneron recognized Toyomura for her project that studied the role genetics play in alcoholism. Toyomura edited genes and collected data to find a possible cure for the disease.

"I am honored," said Toyomura, whose face lit up during a recent interview. "I read the list of students who were chosen last year, and I never thought I would be among them." Toyomura would like to thank Advanced Science Research Advisor Christian Gorycki for his guidance and support.

Each semi-finalist receives $2,000, and Eastchester High School will receive $2,000 for STEM-related activities.

Toyomura will now be considered in the final competition, where she could be named one of 40 finalists later this month.