News and Announcements

Japanese Parents Association Makes Masks for Healthcare Workers & Community

Picture of Eastchester District Website Administrator
Japanese Parents Association Makes Masks for Healthcare Workers & Community
by Eastchester District Website Administrator - Friday, May 15, 2020, 11:31 AM

View the image gallery!

Parents making masksA group of parents and their children are spending their days at home, making masks for healthcare workers and those in need during the COVID-19 crisis. Representatives from the Japanese Parents Association from all five of the Eastchester Schools are involved in the project.

“I heard from a friend that people were volunteering to make masks just after the lockdown began, and I wondered what I could do?” said Yoshiko Suzuki, the mother of eighth grader Keita Suzuki. “I wanted to help healthcare workers in this difficult situation, even while I was staying at home.”

Medical workers using masksSuzuki didn’t have a sewing machine and instead spread the word to others as she helped organize the drop-off of materials to those equipped with sewing machines and the pickup of the finished product.

The group has already donated 2,000 masks to BronxCare Health System, Montefiore Hospital, Jacobi Medical Center, Greenwich Hospital, Westchester Medical Center and the Maria Fareri Children’s Hospital, Hope Soup Kitchen and the Eastchester Community Action Partnership.

Her son Keita writes encouraging messages on each bag to lift the spirits of the healthcare workers who receive the masks. He often picks up and drops off the materials and handmade masks. Other students cut the elastic bands and the clothes that are used in the process as well as sew.

What started as a group of 20 volunteers has grown to 50.

The volunteers want to donate more masks to those in need. For information contact Yoshiko Suzuki at miwayo@aol.com or Volunteer Coordinator Joanne D’Agostino at jotnewyork@gmail.comJapanese Parents Association Makes Masks for Healthcare Workers & Community

View the image gallery!